Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yay! Trip to Super Target!

The Setting: Super Target, Sunday morning, 10 am. Checkout lane #6.

The teenaged cashier is standing there, thinking of teenaged cashier things. Previous Customer is pushing her basket away. Enter Valley Val. Valley approaches the register and begins placing her items on the conveyor belt.

Teenaged Cashier: [blank stare]
Valley Val: "Hello."
Teenaged Cashier: [blank stare as she begins ringing up the items.]
Valley Val: (this time louder) "Good morning!"
Teenaged Cashier: "Oh, hi." [said in an "Oh, I didn’t see you there, even though I had already started ringing up your items" kind of tone.]

The cashier finishes ringing up the merchandise, putting it in bags, and placing them at the end of the register stand. Valley pays with a debit card and decides to get $20 cash back. Teenaged Cashier finishes ringing up the items.

Valley places the last of the bags in her cart. "Hmmm," Valley thinks, "I wonder if Teenaged Cashier will actually *tell* me the total amount or make me figure it out on my own." Valley faces Teenaged Cashier.

Teenaged Cashier: [blank stare]
Valley Val: [blanker stare]
Teenaged Cashier: [blank stare]

Valley Val thinks, "Say it, say it. You can do it… 'Your total is…' Come on…"

Teenaged Casher: [looks uncomfortable and gestures toward debit card machine] "Just a couple more button pushes." [said in the slightly condescending tone nurses use when they speak to elderly people at the doctor’s office, like they’re deaf or stupid.]

Valley Val looks at debit card machine and thinks, "Oh, there’s my total. Good thing I looked here." She pushes just a couple more buttons. Teenaged Cashier grabs the receipt and the $20 bill and hands it to Valley. Valley wonders, "Hmmm, I wonder if Teenaged Cashier will muster up enough energy to thank me for coming to the store today."

Valley takes the money and the receipt and pauses for a few seconds.

Teenaged Cashier: "There ya go."

Valley Val has been dismissed. She thinks, "I
feel so complete. So… satisfied. Thank you, Teenaged Cashier for making my day. I'm ever so glad I came into this store today!"

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Target chick: I am a whore, and all I can think about is how hot Jeremy is, how hot I would look in those new Macy's clothes, how tired I am after spending the night trying to get Chad to notice me last night, and how I can hardly wait to get off work do that I can spend my day's salary on an upscale bra from Macy's today and go to the club I cannot afford tonight and meet the man of my dreams.

Valley walks up....whatever, let's get this over with. That guy in the other line is pretty cute. Maybe I can flirt with him.