Monday, October 20, 2008

Press Send and Watch the Fun Begin

The Setting: You have just sent an e-mail to a friend or co-worker of yours, saying something negative about someone else. Only after clicking Send do you realize that you actually also sent the e-mail to the person you were bad-mouthing.

I can’t recall ever doing this myself, but I have had several experiences where I sent an e-mail to someone and included some unflattering things about someone else, and then the person I originally sent it to responded and copied several other people on the e-mail (bastard!). This typically happens when there's a long e-mail string and people aren't thinking about what may be included in one of the earlier e-mails.

Basically, I’ve learned to not include anything in an e-mail that I wouldn’t mind someone else seeing because I know I have zero control over what happens to that e-mail after I send it. But I am an idiot, after all, so I am sure I will continue saying things I later wish I could take back. Just refer to any of my previous blog postings for examples…

Here is the article I read today on this topic. The comments at the end of other people’s embarrassing examples are hilarious. I would love to hear your embarrassing stories, too.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/10/20/lw.recovering.email.mistakes/index.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my famously bad email was not intended to badmouth anyone, however, it includes a terrible spellchecker change that I inadvertently accepted without PAYING ATTENTION. Our dept. assistant at the time was named "Anissa". The email I sent went to many upper-ups, and started like this:

Dear Anuses,
blah-blitty, blah-blah-blah.